Infusions of Mustard, Marigold, Dandelion, and Chamomile From Pests
- Infusion of mustard from pests is used against the red apple tick, aphids, sawflies, scoop caterpillars, whites and other pests. To prepare it, pour 10 g of dry mustard into 1 liter of hot water (50-60 ° C), insist for two days, and then strain.
- Infusion of marigolds. Pour 15 cups of dry chopped marigold flowers 8 liters of boiling water, add 20 g of laundry soap pre-grated on a coarse grater, mix, leave for 24 hours.
Use the resulting infusion to combat aphids, gall nematodes, ticks. Spraying with infusion 2 times a week, preferably in the morning. Processing 10 days before harvesting to stop.
- Infusion of dandelion. Mix 200 g of chopped leaves and 150 g of dandelion roots. Pour a mixture of 10 liters of boiling water, insist for at least 2 hours, strain. Use the infusion, having previously filtered it, to control pests of fruit trees and shrubs. The first treatment should be carried out, the buds will barely bloom, the second – immediately after flowering, and the next – after 15-20 days.
- Infusion of chamomile and laundry soap. Mix 860 g of dried and carefully chopped grass and 140 g of chamomile inflorescences. Pour the mixture with 10 liters of warm water, insist for a day, strain, dilute 15 liters of water, dissolve 15 g of soap washed in a coarse grater in the infusion. Use infusion to combat spider mites, sawfly larvae, gooseberry moth caterpillars and aphids. Spraying is carried out 3 times a week with a break. Stop processing 2 weeks before harvest.
Pest Control Broths
To combat pests of plants with folk remedies, you can also use broths.
- A decoction of capsicum. Pour 240 g of crushed capsicum pepper 2 l of water, boil over low heat for 5 minutes, cool well, strain. Add 7.5 L of cold water. Use the broth in the fight against weevil and spray them with crops during the period of a mass invasion of the pest.
- Means of hot pepper and tansy. Pour 0.5 kg of dry crushed fruits of hot peppers, as well as 100 g of dry crushed tansy grass 10 l of water. Boil for 1 hour, then let it brew for one day, strain. In the resulting broth, dissolve 30 g of laundry soap pre-grated on a coarse grater. The broth is used for spraying fruit crops, in the fight against aphids, slugs, larvae, and also caterpillars and butterflies. Processing is carried out 2-3 times a month with an interval of 10-15 days.
- The decoction of potato tops. Pour 1.6 kg of fresh potato tops 10 l of water, boil over low heat for 20 minutes, cool, strain. Dissolve in a decoction 50 g of grated soap on a coarse grater. Use the broth during pest control of fruit crops. Spraying is carried out as necessary, preferably in the evening.
- A decoction of onions. Pour 300-350g of chopped onions with 10 liters of water, boil over low heat for 30 minutes. Use the decoction in the fight against tinnitus, spray the plants only with fresh decoction, as soon as it cools down. One week before harvest, stop processing.
- Yarrow decoction. Pour 600 g of dry yarrow herb with 8 l of water, boil for 30-40 minutes, then cool, strain, add 2 l of water, let it brew for 2 days. Before use, dissolve 40g of soap in a decoction. The broth is used in the fight against pests of apple, pear, plum, currant, gooseberry, raspberry and strawberry. Processing is carried out 3-5 times.
Each pest control measure should be aimed at keeping its population below the so-called economic threshold of harmfulness. Some of the activities act directly on individuals in the population, while others act indirectly, reducing the rate of reproduction of these individuals.
It should be noted that processing with infusions and decoctions does not always lead to the desired result. The reasons for this are the various stages of crop growth, changing environmental conditions over time (at the time of processing and after it). In addition, the frequency of use of these funds, as well as the quality of the processing itself, is of considerable importance.
To prepare both infusions and decoctions, plants are harvested before flowering. In order for the herbs not to lose their valuable properties, during drying, sunlight should be avoided, and the room should be well ventilated. Sometimes fresh herbs are used for processing – this increases its effectiveness. Here are some recipes for infusions and decoctions of herbs for spraying fruit and vegetable crops.